Wednesday, February 5, 2014

02-02-14 "Trust the Spirit"

02-02-14
Sawadii Kha! Sabaydii may kha? 


This week went by so very fast. It must have been one of the fastest weeks of my life. I can't believe that I am back emailing already. It's been an adventure though. I have learned valuable lessons and God has granted us more miracles. 


I wasn't feeling very good for a few days. And by "a few days" I mean 4 days of having an upset stomach with weird bouts of fever. I kept pushing through it and didn't allow myself to rest all that much. But finally my companion, Sister Yim, taught me a lot. I basically learned that if I want to do God's work, I have to be considerate of my health also. I can't just keep pushing and expect to be healed all of a sudden. I have to take care of myself. And so, on Wednesday, I slept for most of the day. I drank some gatorade and some soothing herbal medicine for my stomach. By the end of the night, I was feeling a lot better and jumped right back into the work. We contacted like normal and continued on with lessons. Don't worry though, I really am better now. And I will stand up for my health when I really need it. God doesn't want a dead-beat servant anyway, haha! 

I have also been having recent doubts of my abilities. It's been a struggle to try to lead the lessons now. Sometimes there are awkward silences because I am struggling to understand what they said in the first place. Other times, I just try to say something that I hope went along the lines of what the investigator just said. I know it's bad to do it that way, but I can't help but get worked up a bit. I am so worried of looking stupid and saying the wrong things. I don't want to mess things up. People's salvation are on the line, right? But, I have been humbled by the Lord again and again. I now realize that it's not even me at all. I have to get over myself. The only teacher that should be teaching is the Spirit. That is the only way that any lesson will be successful. And even if I say stupid stuff and completely bash the grammar... this is the Lord's work. I can't mess it up. He won't let me. I also remembered something the Zone leaders had once said in a training meeting: "Don't even try to flatter yourself. This isn't you. None of your skills or talents are converting these people. It's the Lord and His Spirit." 

So, yeah, this humbling thing is sure nipping me in the butt. That's what life is for though, right? If I wasn't learning or growing there wouldn't be any point in being here. It stings sometimes but it's necessary. I have learned so much from it. I feel like a better person. And yet, there is so much I can improve on. 

In other news, we have our old investigator Oom come back! She is having a hard time though but we are right here to help her out. She still hasn't gotten baptized in the new area she moved to. So, we are going to help her prepare her for baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. Also, one of our investigators, Biya, hasn't been feeling well. She has had really bad problems with her stomach so we suggested that she receive a blessing. The spirit was strong as we testified that she should not feel bad for asking for a blessing. The Priesthood is there to bless the lives of others. It is there to help us all.When she received the blessing, she said felt so much better. 

On Saturday, we went to the hospital to see a sister of a member that helps us a lot. The sister was not a member and she had never had a lesson with the missionaries before. The Elders came as well since Sister Maam wanted her sister to receive a blessing. We explained to the sister that faith is necessary for the blessing to work. She cannot simply receive it and not believe that it will work. It would be pointless. As she lay there helplessly she expressed honestly, "I believe. I believe in God." And so, the Elders placed their hands on her head and sealed a blessing of healing to her. I am so grateful for their worthiness to give such blessings to people in need. It truly is a gift from God. 

After, we went to the Pizza Company before we started our fast. It was such a nice break from all the Thai food I eat everyday. It was truly satisfying to say the least! haha! I miss American food. 

You know, the longer I am here, the more I miss how things are at home. The church is still young in Thailand. It does not run as smoothly as it does in America. There are so many little things that I miss about the church at home. I took a lot of things for granted. Yes, it is the same church of God, but the programs are still so fresh and new to the people. Even basic programs like home teaching, and visiting teaching is not practiced often. But... that is why we are here. We are here to help strengthen the church and build the kingdom of God. That is all that He requires of us missionaries here. He will take care of the rest, and all will come together. 

On Saturday, Sister Yim and I also took time out to clean the baptismal font for our investigators on Sunday. It was fun to get the mop out and clean the small little font where such a sacred ordinance takes place. And the next day (yesterday) we had two baptisms take place. Our investigators, เทพ, (Tabe) and แพรว (Praow) were baptized! After four months of being in Thailand, I finally understand the "joy" the scriptures talk about when we bring souls unto God. It was so neat. Praow went first and the water was too low! We waited for three minutes for it to fill up and we all sang "I am a Child of God". She ended up forgetting her dry clothes outside and ran out sopping wet while Tabe was being baptized. Haha! And then Tabe had to be baptized three times because his foot kept popping up out of the water. By the third time, Elder Merkley (the one performing the baptism) just let him "fall" into the water. haha! But when Tabe came out of the bathroom, dry and ready, the first thing he said was, "Awesome!" 

I can't believe that Tabe has only been learning for about two weeks. His desire was strong and he was so ready to be baptized. God surely prepared him for this time. He came up to me and just kept saying, "Thank you!" But, it wasn't me at all! It was all Heavenly Father for sure! God has also prepared our investigators, Zaphia and "M". They are a young couple that aren't married but Zaphia wants to be baptized sooo bad! She keeps asking about it and loves church so much. She is so gorgeous too! She came to church in a beautiful long skirt. And even though her mother is Muslim, her dad gave her permission to learn and to join whatever church she wanted. We taught her about the plan of salvation and she couldn't keep her mind off of going to the celestial kingdom! They are both willing to keep the law of chastity and word of wisdom as well. God is so good. 

I hope everyone is having a good week! Be happy and stay faithful. I love you!

Love, 

Sister Carter

P.S. Happy Birthday Uncle Quinn!!!! 
Brother Bird is such a goofy guy, but he did a great job at baptizing Proaw! 

So, whenever people are taking pictures, EVERYONE has to jump in! Thai people LOVE taking pictures! 

Praow, Sister Yim and I posing before her baptism! After three months, she's ready!

Brother Bird is such a goofy guy, but he did a great job at baptizing Proaw! 

A lady in the mall owns this dog. She pushes it in a stroller and puts a diaper on it! So fuzzy!!

Elder Winsor had his birthday this week! We all went to Swensons and he ate the "Earthquake" which is EIGHT scoops of ice cream! He ate it all!
My ice cream was so yummy! It was a nice break from all the hard work this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment