Monday, January 20, 2014

12-29-13 Christmas Program

12-29-13


Sawadii Kha! Sabaydii may kha?

So, I have a lot of catching up to do. This past week/last week has been a little crazy. With Christmas season, it's bound to be a little busy. Not with Christmas shopping, of course! Haha! But, the Ward had asked us to be in their Christmas program and it was so much fun. We were all dressed up as... people in Jerusalem? Yeah, I am not really sure what it was. We were just back up singers, basically. 

It was really cool though. On Christmas Eve, I was able to share the Christmas story to my English students. They had no clue what the story even was. So, to share that special, sacred story to them and see the interest and awe in their eyes... I think it was one of the best Christmas eve's. Not only that, but we were able to eat good ol' Thai food as well for dinner! (papaya salad!!)

Christmas day was wonderful as well. We were able to eat lots of Christmas goodies we received from family (thank you fam, btw) And we pigged out as a district on hot chocolate and apple cider as a district. We watched Missionary approved Christmas videos and ate lots of candy canes and chocolate. To top it all off, we went to Sizzlers (yes, there is an actual Sizzlers here!) and I got a nice, juicy, American burger. It was so good! It almost felt like home :)

 Our golden investigator, อ้ม (Oom) hasn't been answering her phone and she didn't come to her appointment last week and to church. So, unfortunately, even with her moving to a different area, (yes, she's moving) we can't baptize her. We are kind of bummed to say the least. She was so good. She was sharing the Gospel with her children and her children's friends. And when we were introducing the Gospel to her daughter and her daughter's friends, she was practically teaching the lessons! It was so amazing. I love her so much. But now we are just super worried. We hope she is okay. But since she didn't come to church, she can't be baptized till she comes twice in a row. And the Elders in the place she's moving to will have to take care of her. After all that mess yesterday, we invited people or "Dan Jonse'd" since we need more people to teach and people to baptize for this coming month. (the mission goal is to get 200 baptisms) I started to talk to everyone and got rejected each time. One lady was super nice but she was Catholic. She was just talking about how she was only Catholic because her dad taught her to be that way. She wasn't interested in learning but she said she might check out the church sometimes, which is promising. We then came up to a questionable looking man. He had a bottle of cold medicine that actually has alcohol and opium in it. He didn't seem too out of it though as we were talking to him. We gave him a date and he said... yes. A lady came up to him as we were talking to him and she was like, "what are you doing talking to these people?" he waved her off and was like, "not now woman!" she hailed a taxi and said, "we need to go!" and he waved her off again as we confirmed the 26th of January as a date for him. So, hey, I think God has a sense of humor sometimes in answering our prayers. I hope that this man we invited WILL be baptized next month. There is always hope. I have faith. 

I am kind of nervous about this week. I will be leading all the appointments and such. I will also be leading lessons and doing everything a Senior companion would. I have been praying really hard so I won't mess up. My companion says that I will be fine. I can't mess up the Lord's work... I don't think He would let me, really. And, the Lord is the only one who can help me now. I will put my whole trust in Him this week. Wish me luck!

Sorry that this post is jumping around everywhere! I don't have TOO much time to write all that I want. There is so much I want to say about Thailand too. Like the fact that it's only 70 degrees here and there are people with coats and scarves on. It's so crazy. And since it's New Years tomorrow, there's hardly anyone on the streets! It's so much quieter on the streets. I sometimes wonder what it's like to be a missionary in America. The church is still growing here and the missionaries do a lot of work that members or the church is supposed to do. We sometimes clean out the bathrooms and replace the toilet paper, or members will call us so that we can open the church. Not that I am complaining or anything. I just wonder sometimes if some of the things we do is "normal". But, hey. Every missionary has their own experiences, so I guess I really can't compare. 

Anyway, if anyone else has any questions about Thailand or... missionary work or whatever, feel free to email me and tell me to put it on here, okay? 

I love you all! I will write a better letter next week, I hope! 

I love you!

Love, Sister Carter








The Ward Christmas party skit with the YW and YM. There are like two YM in total and the rest are all young women! And they put up that cool stage too! 













No comments:

Post a Comment