Wednesday, April 16, 2014

04-13-14 Infamous Song Kran holiday

Sawadii Bi mai! 

Happy Thai New Years everyone! It's so exciting and awesome! Today (yesterday and tomorrow) is the infamous Song Kran water fights. I am so excited! I will tell you all about it next week. But let's just say Song Kran is an awesome holiday where everyone in Thailand has an excuse to dump water and powder all over you. On the way to the internet place there were these men that chased us and smeared powder all over my face and mouth. It was weird...? Fun? I don't know how to feel about it. But I am looking forward to the rest of the day for sure. 

So, this past week... I can't really remember a lot that had happened. On Monday, I watched Seventeen Miracles and was reminded of the sacrifice that people made in the name of the our Lord and Savior. It was a definite needed reminder. Many tears were shed. Haha.

Other than that, one of the only things that stands out to me is General Conference. I was so excited to watch it this week! I have never been this excited to watch General Conference in my life! I remember always watching it every year with no particular interest. I would listen to a talk or two and would always forget who the speaker was. But when I watched the October session last year in the MTC, my whole perspective changed! I hung onto every word that each speaker said. I felt the spirit and I was uplifted. 

This year was no different. I was inspired by the messages delivered with power and authority. I wrote down all the things that stood out to me and I received answers that I was looking for. It's so hard to choose just one talk that I loved the most. I loved Elder Holland's talk about facing adversity with strength and courage. I loved Uchtdorf's talk about gratitude and enjoying all the small things in life. I loved Elder Bednar's talk about the Atonement and the need of the burdens we have in this life to help us keep pushing forward. I learned a lot. I learned that faith is vital in order to do anything in this life. We cannot do anything alone. We were not made to do things alone. We must sometimes stand alone among our peers, but we will always have the Supreme Creator on our side to lift us and guide us in those times. The Atonement is the greatest gift of all. We can always have joy in this life if we recognize all the blessings of Christ's sacrifice and have comfort in the knowledge that He KNOWS us completely and wholly. All in all, it was just an awesome General Conference, I really look forward to October! 

Yesterday, (Sunday) it rained, people were "playing" (water fights) and we weren't allowed to contact for the rest of the Sabbath day. We were at a loss as to what we should do. All of our investigators had bailed on us and everyone else we tried to contact is gone for the holiday. So, we returned home, studied, and then sang Thai hymns! It was so fun. We cleaned up our apartment and we were invited to a small FHE at President and Sister Senior's house. It was a blast! We had an awesome spiritual thought given by President Senior about the Lord's Prayer and how there is so much more to praying than we realize. We played this "air hockey" game with a ping pong. Except, we had to blow the ball into the goal and I laughed hysterically as I saw everyone's mouth puffed up like a balloon. At the end, we watched some slideshows of President's pictures, drank milkshakes, ate cookies and enjoyed each other's company. One of the pictures that President showed was the cat that is always hanging out at the MRT station. Elder Suphan (a Thai Elder) exclaimed (in his English), "I love that cat! It's at Petchburi Station!" Everyone got a kick out of his enthusiasm.
So, a lot of good things happened despite some of the little disappointments we had throughout the week. God is good. I just love being a missionary. It is so rewarding and fun! I am so happy to be in Thailand. Also, I found this video from the General Woman's meeting and it has Thai members in it! I was so happy! AHHH! I recognized the Thai as they were all singing "I am a Child of God". Maybe you can guess which of them are Thai? It's a little tricky! Haha! 



I love you all! I hope you enjoyed conference as much as I did! I love you!

Love, 

Sister Carter




My new Thai dress that looks like the magic carpet from Aladdin! I love it! And it was only 100 baht! (3 dollars) Score!!!


Me, Sister Sahagun, and Brother Lao-suh (the greatest, cutest, old, Thai man you will ever meet!)
Brother Lao-suh is so funny and kind.  He helps us out all the time!

                                           The cat that likes to sleep above the MRT station outside 

No comments:

Post a Comment