Tuesday, March 4, 2014

02-24-14 "Big City Girl"

02-24-14

Sawadii kha! Sabaydii may kha? 

Guess who is moving up in the world? This Sister is! I moved forty-five minutes away from Srinakharin to the heart of Bangkok this last Thursday! I am now serving in Din Daeng/Asoke ward (look it up, I'm sure its pretty popular place), and let me tell you... it is one big city. In fact, it's probably one of the biggest cities that I have ever been in my life. It's been a pretty crazy adventure here for the past four days. Let me elaborate...

Thursday morning I was so nervous. I didn't know where I would go, who my companion would be, etc. A lot of doubts and fears were flooding my mind. My stomach was practically twisting when President Senior was announcing who would go where. When I saw my name on the screen and met my companion, my fears were set aside. Sister Yim assured me that Sister Sahagun was an angel. And truth to be told, she really is. She is so sweet and nice. She is a Sister Training Leader too and so she has a lot on her hands already. So, to be told that we were opening an area to sisters for the first time was a little scary. We were both a little overwhelmed. Especially since the previous Elders that we are replacing were handing us number after number and telling us of all the appointments they had already set up for us that very night. Crazy, right? We had four lessons straight in a row and when we got home, we were both so exhausted. 

Speaking of "home", we are roomed with the international sisters right now. There are a grand total of 5 sisters living in a one room, one bedroom apartment. It's a little disorganized right now. The international sisters are in a trio at the moment because they have a Thai sister that is waiting to go to the Philippines MTC this coming Thursday. She will be with us until then. But, the line to the bathroom is a little long to say the least. I have to hop in and out of the shower in five minutes or less. I am still living out of my suitcase and our luggage and everything takes up all the floor space. Plus, we have two mattresses and a padding on the floor for beds since there are only two official, framed beds. We are all waiting to be moved to a new house/apartment. It's fun. 

Sister Sahagun and I have plenty to do here in Asoke. The Elders left us with three people that were ready for baptism last Sunday and other investigators and recent converts to take care of. In fact, we have a total of 13 recent converts who are all young, college girls. They are sweet and they need some sisterly love! haha! All the members so far are super great. There are tons of people and it was so nice to see the sacrament filled and then some! It's probably the biggest ward in Thailand! There is always someone at the church ready to help us teach when we need it. We ended up only having two baptisms yesterday but I was still happy to know that they wanted to change their lives and follow their Savior and Redeemer. 

There are about ten missionaries in the area. There are the APs, the Zone leaders, the office Elders, two other Elders (my district leader) and the international sisters as well. So, maybe there's more than 10 of us... but either way, they split us up and I have the APs in my district. It's really crazy! I never thought I would be working with all these people. 

Funny story...

Sister Sahagun and I were contacting and she came up to this guy. He was speaking Thai but he didn't sound like a native. He ended up speaking English too  (since he was half Thai and half white) and blurted, "okay, so what do you want?" she then explained that she was here to invite him to follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized. He was taken aback and said, "Oh. I thought you were going to ask me to marry you." She was stunned. I was stunned. The nerve of the man! Hahaha! So funny!

Other than that, we have had some mix ups with the escalator, the elevators, and the MRT (the subway thing here). It's been an adventure!

I love you all! Take care!

Love Sister Carter


                             These are pics of Sister Sahagun and I at the Sister's meeting last Friday. 
And then me looking up at a picture of the King of Thailand! The adventure begins in the city! 

No comments:

Post a Comment