Monday, March 10, 2014

03-09-14 "I love this work" ...but don't trust weird taxi drivers!

Sawadii kha! 

Another week has zoomed by! Bangkok is still busy as ever and the work is moving forward. I am getting used to the hum-drum of all the people and cars and I am starting to really love the city. There is so much to so and so much to see. SO many interesting people to talk to. We always have the best stories from contacting. People have so many different reactions when we introduce the Gospel to them. haha!
I have a few stories to share. So, first thing I would like to say is that I love the members here. They are so sweet. One girl that was recently baptized (the first week I was here in Asoke) was sharing her feelings about her baptism. She was talking about how nervous she was and how she was sitting in sacrament by herself, crying. She said, "But then Sister Carter sat next to me. And when we sang, she sounded so sweet and beautiful! I felt so much better!" Not to like puff my pride or anything but... that really made my day. It's so weird to think that the simple things will help someone out. I love this work!

On Monday (I forgot to write this last week) I had to throw away one of my favorite necklaces I bought at Forever 21 for two dollars. An Elder asked, "Are you allergic to gold?"
"No," I said, being really confused. 
"Well, it's turning your neck green."
It was pretty embarrassing. My neck had this big ring of green around it. Luckily, it came off with a good scrub. 

Wednesday, oh Wednesday. Let me tell you... we had a few hiccups that day. Sister Sahagun and I needed to go to the Hospital to pick up some medicine. We ask the Elders where it is and they said, "Oh, it's not too far, just keep following this road and you'll find it." We thanked them and they stopped us, "Wait, you're going to walk there?" 
"Yeah," we said.
"Well, it's kind of a long-ish walk."
"Oh! We'll contact on the way there, it'll be fine!"
"Okay..." they said. We were a little confused as to why they were acting weary about the whole thing. But then we understood why. It took us a whole hour to walk there! It was hot, and we didn't know where it was but we finally found it! It was so exhausting. And while we were there, our phone died! The visit there took SO much longer than we thought it would and we were so late for the appointments we had set up. We couldn't call anyone to tell them we would be late, it was a mess. I forgot my hospital card and had to pay everything in cash... it was just a mess. We finally get out of there and hail a taxi to get to the church faster. However, we noticed that the taxi driver was acting a little funny. He was hanging out of his window, smoking and he would not answer us at all. Even when we got his attention, he just looked at us and continued to say nothing and kept driving. I got a little scared. The picture at the front of the car (which shows their license) did not match his face. I told Sister Sahagun, "I don't like this at all."
"Do you want to get out?" she asked, feeling a little weirded out herself. 
"Yes!" And so, we just told him to stop and we hopped out of the car. We quickly went in the opposite way and found another taxi. This new guy was luckily safer! We get to the church and what do you know? Our investigators show up just in time!
"We're sorry that we're late!" (like over an hour). We just smiled and said it was alright. Haha! It just proved to me that everything always works out in the end. If you don't stress, and trust in God, He will take care of the rest. 

Thursday, I got free flowers from this lady while contacting. It was so strange. She talked my ear off and then gave me a bouquet of orchids! I thought she was trying to force me to buy them so I tried giving them back to her. "No!" she said, "They are for you. It is my love for you!" I just smiled and thanked her. I had no idea what to do with them. I just kept them in the fridge to keep them for... someone? It all worked out though since a member was in the hospital and we went to visit her on Saturday. She had appendicitis and we didn't know how to get to the hospital without taking a taxi. They told us to go on a boat on the klong! (the canal of stinky water) I like to dub it "the bog of eternal stench". If anyone got that reference, I applaud you. We got on this huge crowded motor boat and got off at the right stop. We sang songs to the Sister and gave her the flowers. She was tearing up as we sang. She loves hymns. And even though it wasn't much, I know it meant a lot to her. 
Me with the flowers I got when I was inviting!

We had a really cool lesson with one of our investigators this past Sunday. Her name is Ray and she speaks fluent English since she is an interpreter. She came to the international ward and we sat with her. It was weird to hear an English session of Sacrament again. And to hear all the babies crying! I forgot how normal that was! Haha! Anyhow, she was asking all these questions as to what we believe and how we have a prophet today. It felt good to testify in English and promise her that if she read the Book of Mormon and prayed for herself to know if these things are true. She said that she would. She has been searching other Christian churches for fourteen years now and wants to know the truth. It's a miracle that she found the right one then, right?

Anyhow, those are my stories of the week. The only other thing is that I burned my leg on a motorcycle engine too. It hurt. It was parked and I backed into it and didn't know it was just recently used. My calf was burned from the metal engine. It blistered and stung. It's alright though. I have a picture of it. It's not pretty but it's getting better! 

Those are my adventures! I hope that all is well and that you are happy and safe. I love you all. I know that God lives and He will take care of us. He knows us so personally and He knows what we can become. He puts us through hard things in order to mold us into the person we were always meant to be. 


Sister Carter

The burn on my leg! Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment