Thursday, August 7, 2014

08-03-14 English class, inviting & face masks

08-03-14

Dear Family and Friends!

What a week! I am healthier and happier than ever! This week began with an FHE that Sister Stevenson planned herself. It was pioneer theme and we played cat's cradle, the pull-stick game, and then watched the Joseph Smith movie. I wish we had 17 Miracles, but what we had was good enough too! 

Tuesday, we had another good English class. This week was on "manners". It was so much fun! We set up a table, plates, napkins, silverware, a vase of flowers, and even a table runner in front of the class. We showed them first hand on what "good" and "bad" manners were at the table. The students then had a turn to come up and sit at the table and demonstrate (In English) some good and bad manners as well. Everyone got a kick out of it. I sure had fun! I wish I got some pictures from it. 

Wednesday... well, we spent the whole day inviting in the sun. But after that, Sister Stevenson and I were in charge of leading the Book of Mormon class that we have. And, being me, I always love putting up a little show. We decided to reenact 1 Nephi Chapter 18--you know, the chapter where Nephi and his family are on the boat? Yeah, that one! We set up chairs to represent the "boat" and had the whiteboard behind us with "waves" drawn on it to represent the waters. Only four people came to the class but they got quite the play! I acted as "Laman" and another Elder, (Elder Heras, my district leader) was "Lemuel". We had a grand old time making fun of "Nephi" (Elder Lingard) and tying him up with the only rope we had--red Christmas ribbon. We tied him to the chair and I made little bows to knot it all up. He looked like a funny Christmas present. It was so funny! And even though we looked like fools for three members and one investigator, I know they enjoyed it and felt the spirit. We emphasized that some people make bad choices that affect us and we cannot control. But, we can be like Nephi, and not complain and rather pray to the Lord for strength. He is an awesome example for everyone!

Thursday, we had some special guests come and visit us. The Zone leaders, Elder Kelly, and Elder Delegarza along with the Sister Training leaders came down to train us. This training was so nice and spiritual. I really liked President Senior's message of true conversion. Often, we as missionaries teach so much that we give the lessons as a rote presentation. We have to remember that we are teaching actual people and we need to tailor to their needs. It has inspired me to do the same and to be really creative with lessons! Hopefully I can put the creativity to the test when we actually teach someone. >.< Oops. Yes, the work has been relatively slow lately. But all is well! I am still happy and hopeful with all the contacting that we do for several hours a day. The work is always fulfilling!

The rest of the week went by so fast! When you contact for a long time, things seem to go by faster than you think it does. We have been trying to get a hold of some recent converts so that we can strengthen and help them in the Gospel. We even set out to make an RC book for the branch and future missionaries so that no one would be forgotten. We have one particular RC though that we have not been able to get a hold of. She never answers her phone and the only other way to contact her is through her work. However, the description of her work from the previous Elders doesn't quite sound very... safe. On the note they gave of her they said, "Works at a Karaoke bar in between the 7/ll and the internet cafe. Um... use judgement when going there. Places like these can be sketch." I'm like, "What the heck! How did these Elders meet this girl in the first place?" Anyway, we put off in trying to find her for a while. We would plan on it, but always forget or feel too hesitant in visiting the Karaoke bar. But, we finally did it. A girl met us outside the first time (in broad daylight, mind you) and told us to come back in the evening. Red flags are going off in my head by this point. So, we finally go back to visit in the evening... and oh my goodness. What an adventure! We parked our bikes in front of the Karaoke bar and I immediately knew what kind of place it was. There were lots of Christmas lights strewn all over the place, the windows were tinted black, and I could faintly see some interesting clad figures through the windows. I wanted to turn around fast. But, my companion was like, "Well, we have to meet her at least once!" I was still hesitant and almost half way on my bike again when a lady came out to meet us. She asked us, "Hey, do you need help or something? Are you lost?" We explained that we were trying to find someone and she said that she was not there but to come back the next evening. Ugh. So, we did. But, when we did, we saw the RC we were looking for, outside the bar and on her motorcycle! It was a miracle! We didn't have to touch the door of the place! I was so happy. And we learned that this RC lost her phone and had been busy with school. She said she would come to church that Sunday but she never did :( Oh well. I still consider it a miracle that we found her!

Anyway, that's most of the excitement of my week! It was full of funny, spiritual adventures and I loved it! I hope all is well with everyone! Be safe! Be happy! This Church is very, very true! I love you!

Love, 

Sister Carter



Face masks!




Hey mom! I saw this dress and I thought I'd take a picture of it. I know it's a wedding dress, but I thought it would be fun to share :)


No comments:

Post a Comment